Lisa Logue Books

Friday, December 20, 2013

Questions they always ask...

So I've been thinking a lot lately about how fans approach authors (something of which I am guilty) and how it sometimes seems cliche. I don't mean that they aren't truly fans or don't appreciate the work of said author, but I always see the same questions:

How can I get started writing? 
How do I get published?
What do you recommend for someone starting out writing?

These are all very good questions, but I find myself answering them in a way I believe anyone should answer:

You just start. If it's something calling to you, just sit down and do it. 
There are so many places online to publish, but don't fall for sites asking you to pay.
Again, just do it. If you're passionate about it, you will find it comes easy.

I don't know if I'm just lacking inspiration from outside influences or if I truly don't understand how there are people who don't know the answers. I suppose, for those who are very new, they are searching for some advice to see if they are on the right path. I can understand that, but I also grew up with the mindset that I could do anything I put my mind to, no matter what it is. Although something may seem impossible, I am the only one who can conquer those fears and accomplish my goals. 

Maybe that's what writing has done for me- allowed me to actually be myself and that "better person" I aimed for. Nothing I write is perfect, nor will it ever be, and I honestly would rather it not. I want my true inner voice to come through, even if I've spelled something wrong or used a word in the wrong context. I'm human and I make mistakes and I'm alright with that.

Bottom line- writing is something that comes from within. No one else can tell you how to write or even how you should write. What pours onto the paper (or screen) is what is inside your head and you should be proud of it and its imperfections. Not sure how to get started? Just write something down. It doesn't matter what it is, just write it down. Even if it's a mess of jumbled words, do it. Eventually, you'll get used to writing things down that pop into your head and it will be easier to do and more words (and even sentences!) will follow. Don't be afraid to experiment and do what feels comfortable to you. 

Writing evolves, just as you and I do. No two people I've encountered write in the same voice and you shouldn't want to either. Let your writing speak to who you are and what that inner voice tells you to say. The only recommendation I've ever known any writer to give to one who aspires to write is simply DO IT.

Good luck and may the force be with you! (Nerd, I know)


xoxoxoxo
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line!