Lisa Logue Books

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Exerpt of MJ Kane's Debut Novel!







The song ended, and I opened my eyes to cheer with the rest of the crowd. I was noticed all right. Various men in my immediate vicinity threw out catcalls and whistles, which were flattering, but the drummer paid me no attention. In fact, no one in the band seemed to notice me, except for one man.
One of the guitar players watched me intently. Astonished, I nearly stumbled in my heels. He was attractive but… he was white, not what I was aiming for. My lips tilted in a small smile before I moved out of his line of sight, placing myself in front of dancers who’d moved closer to the stage blocking my view of the drummer.
The next song played, and again, I tried to get lost in the music. My eyes closed, it was impossible to find my groove again without feeling stalked. The hair on the back of my neck stood up, drawing my attention down the length of the stage and to the guitar player, who once again, watched me with a predatory gleam in his eye. When the song ended, I worked my way back to the bar.   
Neither Yasmine nor Kaitlyn were there.  They must have gone to the bathroom.
“What can I get you, miss?” the bartender asked, interrupting my thoughts.
Music from the loud speakers blasted again, after the MC announced the band was taking a brief intermission.
“Margarita, extra shot of tequila, please.” The bartender nodded and went to fill my order.
“Did you get a load of the blond guitar player? He’s hot!”
My attention turned to a busty brunette who’d taken up temporary residence in the empty seat next to me. I recognized her as being one of the women who’d been dancing next to me. She adjusted her boobs, primping while talking to her friend.
“He doesn’t know it yet, but I’m going home with him tonight,” she continued. Her friend giggled.
Good luck. She had a better chance than I did of finding a man tonight.
“Here you go.” The bartender placed a napkin in front of me with my drink.
“I’ve got this,” a deep voice said close to my ear, making me jump. It was incredibly sexy despite the fact it scared me. It also sent a warm tingle down my spine. Intrigued, I turned and found myself face-to-face with the guitar player. The same one my barstool neighbor wanted to go home with.
Any sort of coherent words failed me.

3 comments:

  1. I love this scene! When I was writing this and trying to determine how to get the guitar player off the stage and over to where my girl, Ebony, was standing, I literally felt the same chill she did when he stood next to her. Hope you guys felt it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great visual! It's so great when we can affect ourselves like that :)

      Delete
    2. Especially when writing a love scene. If it bores you then imagine how your readers will feel! Me, every time I flip through my story I always get stuck there...lol. In fact, love scenes are usually the first ones that come to mind when I write!

      Delete

Drop a line!