Lisa Logue Books

Monday, December 3, 2012

Bit & Pieces & A Sample!

So for the billionth time, I'm trying to write this blog post. I have probably erased and rewritten this about five times now, trying to figure out what exactly I want to say. It's so funny how I can write for three or four hours straight without so much as a hiccup, but writing a blog takes days. But I digress.

I've been toying with a few ideas in my head, mostly some dreams that I've realized could make pretty good stories. I think I might start posting some bits and pieces in between major writing on LoS. It seems once I started writing, I haven't been able to stop! Of course, that's not a bad thing. I'd rather have too many ideas than not enough. Also, I'll be debuting the cover for Fiery Secrets and Soul Covenant soon which I'm super excited about.

Speaking of Soul Covenant, I promised a preview like last week and unfortunately I had been too busy to deliver. So, I've decided that now is better than never. This is the first draft, a very rough one, so please be gentle!


Soul Covenant: A Legacy of Secrets Novella {Sample}

“They’ve sent a messenger just this morning, my lady. The prince will be expected in three days time with his army. How shall we proceed?” the magistrate asked his queen.
 

Her eyes shifted about the room, looking to the faces of her subjects. Their fear was palpable, tasting like thick molasses on her tongue. Of course she wouldn’t let on her own fears. As queen, she wasn’t allowed the luxury of fear.
 

She drew the goblet of purple liquid to her lips and relished in it’s sweetness before speaking. “Send word to my sister. Let her know of the prince’s message and rally her to meet in The Valley. We don’t have too many soldiers, but we must orchestrate other methods. Also, we shall seal the Soul Wells tonight. I’m sure the prince is seeking power and I’d rather he not have mine.” The magistrate bowed low murmuring, “Yes, my lady,” and exited the room.
 

It was supper in the palace, but it felt more like a last meal. She knew their chances of winning were slim. If she was honest with herself, she knew there wasn’t a chance at all, but if her faith taught her nothing it was to have hope when all seemed lost. As she rose in her chair, each and every man and woman rose and bowed low in respect. Their worried faces broke her heart.
 

A bubbly, blonde haired boy bounded after her, giggling as he fluffed her dress while she walked. She giggled herself, looking at the rosy face of her little boy. He was the only diamond in a sea of coal that had become her existence. She loved him dearly, just as she had loved his father before his death. Oddly enough, it would be six years to the day he’d been lost at sea when the prince arrived to slaughter her and her people.
 

“Mamma, can we go to the gardens today? I want to feed the birds!” his bottom lip pouted slightly as he looked up at her.
 

She smiled sweetly, “I think that’s a lovely idea, Austin. Why don’t you run along and get changed. I’ll have Oscar come get you soon.” His brilliant blue eyes lit up like the sun and he hugged her thigh in his strong little arms. Her heart swelled at his affection.
 

“Please don’t take too long, Mamma. I don’t want to miss the firebugs and songbirds like we did last time,” he exclaimed in minor agitation. She knelt to his height and held his chin softly, “I shall not keep my son waiting long. I wouldn’t want to disappoint the man of the house, now would I?”
 

He puffed out his chest slightly, making a very serious, yet incredibly adorable scowl, “That’s right! Time is of the of the essence and I want to see the firebugs!”
 

“Yes, my lord,” she bowed while trying not to laugh. “We shall be readied immediately for our departure. Hurry along now, Austin. Daylight is fleeting.” With that, the boy blew his mother a kiss and set off to find his nanny. Perhaps the hardest part of the prince’s coming was knowing she wouldn’t be able to save the only person left on the earth she loved. He was doomed by his blood, just as she was.
 

A single tear slid down her cheek as she walked the long corridor to her chambers. Queens don’t cry, she chastised herself and wiped the tear away quickly. If her husband was still alive, she wouldn’t need to fret about such things. He would have arranged the army and rallied with the other elven people without her having to know about any of it. Sadly, that luxury was not one befitting of her. Even after so long, she missed him dearly.
 

“Please tell me it isn’t true?” her youngest sister’s voice greeted her as she entered the chambers.
 

“I’m sorry, Celia. I wish it wasn’t. The magistrate received the orders this morning and in three days, the prince and his army will be here. I’m sending word to Rene to meet me in The Valley,” she held her voice steady, despite the tears threatening to spill over. She was a queen, and queens show no weakness.
 

“Luz, you cannot be series! They will swallow us whole, spit us out and do it all over again if for nothing than to prove they can. We must leave here. We have cousins, aunts and uncles who would keep us safe. Surely you see this?” Celia touched her sister’s arm gently. Luz was always brave, but she wasn’t stupid.
 

Luz shook her head somberly, “There aren’t enough places for us to go. The prince will only move to overtake those we love for the sake of another banner to hang on his wall. We can save the others if we stay put. Even if we cannot win, we can do our part to weaken the blow to the other clans.”
 

“The other clans? What about our clan? What about Oscar and Judith? Or Olivia and Ronald? You’d sacrifice all your people to protect who exactly? You’d sacrifice your son?” Celia was breathing heavy. Her lungs felt hot and thick, like she was suffocating.
 

Luz rounded on her with an anger Celia had never seen, “Go if you must be a coward! Gather what little you have and flee from here! I will not stop you, sister. This war is bigger than you and I. It’s been waging for years, killing some we love dearly. You forget who’s husband perished while fighting in our armies so many years ago. You haven’t lost anything, Celia. Those you are trying to protect mean little to you. My son shows more bravery in one little finger than you in your entire being. He will not be endangered, and if things go as planned, neither will anyone else. Leave me, before I decide to run you through with Father’s sword!”
 

The shocked and distant expression in Celia’s eyes was something Luz wouldn’t soon forget. She backed out of the room slowly, chest heaving with the tears she tried desperately to hold in. Betrayal was etched on her face, and while it hurt Luz to have cut her so badly, there was a reason Celia wasn’t queen. She shut the door firmly behind her, finally leaving Luz alone.
 

Her thoughts would constantly drift to her long, lost husband. Without him the road was hard, but she’d never had to face war before. Their clan was the most prosperous and also the largest. Usually, the other clans would send messengers weekly for supplies and trade. Luz helped to build the system, only to see it’s fall in the wake of her people’s fear.
 

A knock at her door roused her, “Come in,” she rasped. Several maidens entered, carrying wash basins and new clothing for the outing to the gardens. She smiled at the thought of her precious little boy chasing the firebugs and songbirds.
 

“My lady, Sir Oscar is requesting an audience,” a maiden said quietly. Luz nodded her head, granting access to one of the few men she trusted since her husband’s death. He’d never shown her and Austin anything other than kindness and was sure to silence those who didn’t obey. He bowed low after entering the room and Luz smiled politely. Even after so long as queen, she didn’t feel comfortable with people bowing to her.
 

“To what do I owe this pleasure, Sir Oscar?” she nodded her chin slightly. He slipped his hat gingerly onto the top of his head before speaking, “It seems the little one is terrorizing the help again. He said you wouldn’t keep him waiting and won’t take no for an answer, it seems.”
 

Luz laughed and her cheeks reddened, “You know, I am set to punish him for such things, but it is adorable. I am hopeful he’d make a good king one day. He’s much like his father.”
 

Oscar’s expression fell slightly, as it always did when Luz mentioned her late husband. It was a shame. No matter the lengths he went, her love for Isaac was always stronger than her appreciation for Oscar. It saddened him, but he respected her position. “He’d make a fine king, my lady. Shall I tell him it will be much longer?”
 

She looked around at the various maidens, fluffing, primping and straightening anything they could to make her look regal. “I am so sorry, Oscar. Would you keep him occupied for a time more while we finish here? We three shall then go. Is that suitable for you?”
 

“Of course, my lady. We’ll wait in the foyer.” He withdrew from her chambers with a rather disappointed temperament. His efforts towards Luz were heartfelt and courteous, but always for naught. Countless times, he even held her while she cried over the love she lost, but he was seen as nothing other than a brotherly confidant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line!