Lisa Logue Books

Friday, October 25, 2013

Stumped!

So I've been having a difficult time finishing this book. I find myself writing a few hundred words and feeling like something is missing. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I hope I am just being my own worst critic. I've heard good things about the parts I've let some of my friends read, but they are my friends so I always feel like they're just being nice :). It could all just be in my head, though. If you want to take the time, here's part of an excerpt that I'm thinking about trashing. If you could leave some comments telling me what you think, that would definitely help me feel like I'm moving in the right direction. Pweeeeeaaaasssseeee? :D


Fiery Secrets Excerpt: Christian's "Awakening"

 Kalonice narrowed her eyes, "What you fail to realize is that all vampires are born with the same handicap. We cannot at first remember our human lives aside from the fact that we are one. Usually, this happens to protect the young vampire because he or she couldn't simply wander home to snack on mommy and daddy. Vampires are drawn together like magnets. We thrive in groups and we tend to survive much longer that way.  So, when you wandered away from your birthplace, you were migrating towards others. We're engineered to seek out our own kind, even if we don't know it's happening."
I sighed and rubbed my hand over my scalp, "I'm sorry. I meant no disrespect to either of you, but since flipping that switch I'm not sure how to live as a vampire without losing the person I've worked so hard to become."
"Christian," Emerson sighed. "Do you remember when you first found out what Lia was and you felt yourself slipping? The vampire in you wanted her, even though you didn't want him to. Do you remember that?"
I nodded, "But I don't know if he wanted her for her blood or because of what I felt. I was too afraid to slip too far away because I couldn't let anything happen to her."
Kalonice folded her arms, "Yet you were able to co-exist with your vampire side while able to think clearly and react as you normally would?" I nodded. "Then you already know that it's possible, you just have to let go of the fear. You are much older now and your vampire is, too.
"As a newborn, you didn't possess the capacity to concentrate on anything except the blood. It was the only thought and drive you had, which is why carnage followed you. Once you were taught how to be a vampire the right way, you were able to think and fuction as you did when you were a human. Now, whether you think so or not, you have found harmony. If you allowed yourself to give in to your instincts, you wouldn't feel so different."
"I don't want to kill people again. I can't do that. It's been a long time since I've killed someone for blood and I don't have plans on doing that now," I shook my head furiously.
"You don't have to kill anyone, unless you want to that is. No one can make you do anything, not even the vampire inside of you. Tell me what's more important, your moral dilemma, or saving Adalia from the pit of Hell the Trylle have laid out for her?"
My heart squeezed, "You already know the answer to that."
"That's what I thought. Now, if you decide that you're ready to grow up, we can begin tonight at sundown," Kalonice moved toward the door.
"Begin what?" I asked gruffly.
"Your baptism," she smiled slyly and disappeared from the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line!